WATER MITIGATION VS. WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION
If you’ve experienced water damage in your home or business, you understand that it’s no picnic.
Whether it’s from a burst pipe, a leaking faucet or heavy rains, water damage can cause severe damage to your property.
And, as you can imagine, the longer it sits, the more damage water can cause. So, the sooner you call in professionals to assist, the better.
Once you call in the experts, they will talk you through what needs to be done. You will either just need water damage mitigation, or water mitigation services followed by water damage restoration services.
Water mitigation and water restoration services can be performed separately but often professionals rely on both methods when working on a specific job.
But what’s the difference between the two services and what can you expect from both?
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at each method, as well as a few dos and don’ts when it comes to dealing with water damage in general.
WHAT IS WATER MITIGATION?
In its simplest form, water mitigation service is the prevention of further water damage by removing standing water and drying any affected areas.
The property owner can start the process before the professionals arrive, such as removing belongings and opening windows to help dry the area.
Water mitigation service involves using specialized equipment and techniques to prevent further damage from water intrusion. The overall goal of water mitigation is to minimize loss.
THE WATER MITIGATION PROCESS INVOLVES:
- Removing affected materials such as furniture, soft furnishes, flooring, beams or drywall
- Commercial grade equipment and special techniques are used to extract water and dry out the affected area
- Cleaning and disinfecting any salvageable materials
- Protecting the property’s integrity by boarding up windows and doors and taking other necessary precautions
Typically, water damage mitigation services aren’t designed to repair or replace water-damaged property but rather ensure the disaster doesn’t lead to further consequences.
WHAT IS WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION?
Water damage restoration repairs and rebuilds the effects of water damage with the goal of restoring a home or business to its pre-damaged state. This will usually take place after the water mitigation process.
Trained professionals will use techniques and equipment to restore your property, followed by rebuild or reconstruction services. The tools and approach used depends on the type and extent of water damage.
THE WATER RESTORATION PROCESS TYPICALLY INVOLVES:
- Replacing or repairing damaged flooring and walls
- Repairing and/or replacing roof and ceiling damage
- Cleaning and disinfecting the area
- Cleaning carpets, rugs and upholstery
- Working to prevent mold growth
To sum it up, water damage restoration services involve repairing or replacing damaged parts of your residential or commercial property, where water mitigation does not.
THE DOS AND DON’TS OF WATER DAMAGE
If you find yourself facing water damage, or simply want to be prepared, there are a few dos and don’ts you can follow before the professionals arrive:
- Switch off your electrical supply
- If you are dealing with a burst pipe or leaking appliance, switch off the main water source
- Call the professionals, and your insurance company, as soon as possible
- Remove valuables, artwork, furniture, rugs and belongings
- Mop and soak up as much water as you can
- Loop your curtains up over the rods to prevent them from getting wet
- Open closets, cabinets and drawers to allow them to air out
- Open windows and doors to allow air into the space
- Take photos to document the water damage for your insurance company
- Do not enter a room with any electrical or structural damage until it is safe to do so
- If the water is grey or from a sewage pipe, do not come into contact with the water
- Do not place any newspaper on the floor
- Do not attempt to lift up any carpeting that is tacked down
- Do not use a vacuum to suck up the water
- Never use electrical appliances if standing on a wet floor or carpet
- Don’t try and tackle water damage yourself; it is a job that’s always better left to the professionals
WATER DAMAGE MITIGATION AND RESTORATION YOU CAN TRUST
At Affordable Home Works, we have decades of water damage mitigation and water damage restoration experience behind us.
Our team of experts will work to identify the cause of the leak and focus on minimizing further damage, followed by performing cleanup and restoration services.
Available 24/7, our team will arrive onsite with the best equipment and techniques to remove and clean up any water damage.
Above all, we will work quickly and effectively to get your home or business back to normal. For more information about our water damage process, visit our website.
Trust our friendly and reliable professionals to provide superior water damage services in your area. Contact us today!